The World of Outlaw review for 2014
Parramatta Aust. February 13, 2014
With the season due to start today at Volusia Speedway Park it is the ideal time to look back and see if we can forecast using last year’s form who is likely to be the 2014 World of Outlaw Champion .
Some might say it is a bold and maybe foolish move to try and predict the result even before the engines have been fire up.
Well my answer is that makes it a more interesting a challenging.
How do you rate the chances for the top ten? This is Talking Speedway predictions for 2014
(1) Donny Schatz: the most consistent performer through the past year backed by the powerful Tony Stewart Organization with support from STP Wins , top 5 and top 10 finishes was the best across all competitors .
With 21 wins against the next best Tim Kaeding 9 wins. You just can’t go past the 5 times Champion
(2) Tim Kaeding: Backed by Roth Motorsports. I am placing him above defending Champion Pittman base on the fact that Roth Motorsports has announced that they will run the full WoO program .I expect Kaeding to improve his win to race starts ratios . Kaeding has continued his race winning form during his recent tour in Australia and is without question one of the fastest drivers on the tour.
(3) Daryn Pittman: I have place the defending Champion at number three. Pittman backed by Kasey Kahn and Great Clips found his form early in the season and for constancy match Schatz in all but the win statistics .Pittman’s form over the concluding staging of 2013 fell away making the final finishing order the closest in the WoO history. Pittman’s poor form continued during his recent Australian tour.
(4) Paul McMahan: Was always there about all season and recorded 4 wins and finished in 5th overall position for the CJB Motorsports Team .Apart from Pittman McMahan had the measure of most tracks during qualifying posting 17 fast times .
(5) Kerry Madsen: The Australian posted three wins and with new sponsorship and the ability to beat any driver on any night I have a strong feeling this might well be his year .I expect Madsen to improve from his last years 10th position. Backed by American Racing Custom Wheels and Keneric Racing
(6) Sammy Swindell: History will tell you can’t leave Sammy out of contention. Three wins in 2013 and regular top 10 finishes the Big Game Motorsports NO 1 will be pushing to improve on his sixth finish in 2013.
(7) Joey Saldana : Always fast and last season was in a winning position many times before luck went sour .A single win in 2013 and strong placing across season should ensure a successful season Teaming up again with Motter Equipment and a new sponsors Beltline Body Shop and HEM Saw
(8) Steve Kinser: Two wins in 2013 and the expectation that his final season of racing will bring renewed enthusiasm to the 20 Time World of Outlaw Champion. Kinser’s top 5 and top 10 finishes were impressive particularly at a time he might well have been putting his feet up. This last year will be a fitting farewell tour for the Champ and the Tony Stewart team with Sponsor Bad Boys Buggies.
(9) Cody Darrah: Team mate of Daryn Pittman and with the Kasey Kahn Team backed by the Surepoint Medical. Darrah will certainly be in the race for the money at most tracks.
(10)Brad Sweet: Another from the Kasey Kahn Stable and backed by Ollies Barn can look back to his sizzling form to win the Kings Royal at Eldora. Expect big things.
I am sure this list will create some discussion amongst the fans and many will ask where Craig Dollansky is. I have not considered Dollansky because as we post he is still without a ride after parting late last year with Big Game /EyeOn team. Dollansky certainly would be in any top 10.
With over 92 events scheduled on the STP World of Outlaws Championship any one of 20 of the regular runners are capable of winning on any night. In addition to the regular Outlaws, the Pennsylvania Posse, The All Stars and many of the local track Champions are capable of winning the A Mains when they enter.
To win on the STP tour is an achievement .Donny Schatz’s 21 wins in 2013 was nothing short of amazing and clearly he must be the favorite to take the Championship.